The Denison Forum Podcast Season 1, Episode 1
Dr. Jim Denison and Dr. Mark Turman talk about the origins of Jim’s new book, The Coming Tsunami, and God’s calling on Jim’s life to cultural apologetics.
In this first episode, they cover:
- how Christians should engage the culture
- newfound unity between denominations
- rising atheism
- how to turn the cultural tide
- and hope for a new awakening
In part 1, Jim and Mark delve into Jim’s life and upbringing.
Jim’s father experienced the horrors of World War II and couldn’t reconcile them with Christianity. So, Jim grew up in a “loving, wonderful home but no spiritual life and all my father’s questions.” Eventually, after following Christ in his teens, God called him to ministry.
Fast-forward to two or three years ago. The Holy Spirit pressed on him the “urgency of the moment” in our culture, which eventually led to the writing of The Coming Tsunami. The analogy runs like this: unseen forces (earthquakes) can lead to cultural symptoms that make Christianity a danger in the eyes of the culture (the tsunami).
In part 2, Jim and Mark discuss:
- the sociology of how to change the culture
- and the best strategies for Christians to accomplish it in America
The election of conservative Christians to the presidency seems to have led to passivity among many Christians; political officials cannot change the culture. The way to change culture is to practice what you preach and exercise your influence wherever you are.
In part 3, they talk about encouraging ways God is moving.
For instance, they discuss the growing unity in the church between denominations, the miraculous awakenings in Islam, and the explosive growth of Christianity in Asian countries.
Next, they cover the influx of atheist, secular thinkers into mainstream Western culture. Many are brilliant scientists but overstep into philosophy and theology, places where they make frequent errors but still hold massive influence. This and subjects like the church abuse scandals have broken the church’s image in the modern eye. Philosophy has consequences, and you can trace the ideas of today back generations to people like Kant.
Finally, Jim shares his pastoral insight into how the Lord moves.
While we may feel desperate now, God works awakenings when a culture is on the brink of despair. The Spirit has worked like that before in America, and he can do it again.
P.S. Pre-order The Coming Tsunami today and you’ll be invited to an exclusive, virtual, live Q&A with Dr. Denison discussing whether Critical Race Theory is biblical. Visit TheComingTsunami.com to pre-order and follow the directions on that page to receive your invitation to this book launch event on January 25.
About the hosts
Dr. Jim Denison CVO and cofounder of Denison Forum and a cultural scholar. He received his Ph.D. in philosophy and Master’s in Divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
Dr. Mark Turman is the executive director of Denison Forum. He received his DMin from Truett at Baylor and previously served as lead pastor of Crosspoint Church.
Resources and further reading
- The Coming Tsunami, Jim Denison
- Wrestling With God, Jim Denison
- How to Change the World, James Davidson Hunter
- The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis
- The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins
- god is not Great, Christopher Hitchens
- The CEO Forum: “Created to support and minister to Christian CEOs and Senior Executives, CEO Forum exists to provide a unique approach to The Great Commission.”
- “How dreams and visions of “Isa” are awakening the Islamic world,” Mark Legg