When your children ask hard questions about conflict in the Middle East, what will you say?
Parents and grandparents may feel overwhelmed and underprepared when it comes to talking about the ongoing crisis in Israel, but children are still affected by what they see and hear—and they often see and hear much more than we think, especially in our media-saturated culture.
So how much should you share? How can you educate yourself on the conflict to speak confidently about it? To speak biblically about it? And how can we encourage our children to make a difference where they live even when war seems so far away?
Steph Thurling, Executive Director of Christian Parenting, talks with Denison Ministries CEO Dr. Jim Denison. Together, they offer keen biblical insight and practical ways to talk about this crisis with your children and grandchildren.
- A very short history of Israel and Palestine| 01:48
- Who’s occupying whom? | 04:21
- The difference between Palestine and Hamas | 08:30
- Why is Israel so important to so many? | 12:38
- What does the Bible say about the current crisis in Israel? | 14:43
- How can we talk with our kids about the Israel crisis? | 17:20
- How can families show support for Israel? | 24:10
- More resources on the crisis in Israel | 27:25
- A prayer for the Middle East | 29:54
- Transcript (PDF)
- Talking with your kids about the war in Israel, Steph Thurling
- The Christian Parenting Podcast Network
- The latest Denison Forum content on the Israel crisis
- Radical Islam: What You Need to Know, Jim Denison
- Texas Baptist Men
- Red Cross
- State Department Travel Advisories: Israel, the West Bank and Gaza
- Council on Foreign Relations
- A Middle East Wake-Up Call, (paywall) Walter Russell Mead
About Steph Thurling
Steph has her master’s in youth, family, and culture from Fuller Theological Seminary and has a background in youth and children’s ministry. She is co-author of Raising Prayerful Kids, a book that shares easy, life-giving, and fun ways to teach kids to pray. She loves helping families grow closer to each other and to God through meaningful experiences and conversations. Steph is a frequent speaker at churches and mom groups and is known for her relatable stories, practical ideas, and gentle encouragement.
About Dr. Jim Denison
Jim Denison, PhD, is a cultural theologian and the founder and CEO of Denison Ministries. He speaks biblically into significant cultural issues at Denison Forum. He is the chief author of The Daily Article and has written more than 30 books, including The Coming Tsunami, the Biblical Insight to Tough Questions series, and The Fifth Great Awakening.
About Denison Forum
Denison Forum exists to thoughtfully engage the issues of the day from a biblical perspective through The Daily Article email newsletter and podcast, The Denison Forum Podcast, as well as many books and additional resources.