Category: Global Written by Ryan Denison
A similar agreement was passed in Kyoto, Japan, in 1997. It mandated that industrialized nations reduce their greenhouse gas emissions to five percent below 1990 levels between 2008 and 2012. However, a number of key nations, including the United States which is the second largest producer of greenhouse emissions, chose not to abide by it. To complicate matters, China and India, the first and third largest emitters respectively among nations, were exempt at the time. That is why the current summit is focused on passing binding legislation that cannot be so easily disregarded by those countries that can do the most to address the problem.
Category: Global Written by Jim Denison
What has changed?
Newsweek's Kurt Eichenwald: "Friday's Paris strike is not just another in a growing cavalcade of terrorist assaults; instead it signals a tactical change in Islamic terrorist strategies—one that militants have been moving towards for years." For many years, Western nations have been fighting jihadist organizations such as the Islamic State and al-Qaeda. How does the Paris massacre change this global reality?
Category: Global Written by Nick Pitts
John Oliver had a heated response. Host of HBO's "Last Week Tonight," Oliver went on an expletive-laced tirade at the start of his show. "It's hardly been 48 hours and much is still unknown, but there are a few things we can say for certain," said Oliver Sunday on his show. "And this is when it actually helps to be on HBO, where those things can be said without restraint. After the many necessary and appropriate moments of silence, I'd like to offer you a moment of premium cable profanity."
- Russians caught doping: the power of groupthink
- Is China's new 'two child' policy too little too late?
- Earthquake death toll in Middle East at 360 and rising
- Is David Cameron the next Joseph McCarthy?
- The world's forgotten refugees
- Eastern Europe's road to a nuclear Middle East
- Poverty falls to historic lows: always have the poor?
- Obama and Putin: Speak softly and carry a big stick
- Havana nights: the Pope and the role of fame
- North Korea's latest attempt to scare the world